Welcome to the International Peugeot 309 Owners Club!

• Sponsors

• Sponsors

piston ring problems

Engine mods, conversions, turbos, gearboxs, drive shafts

piston ring problems

Postby miles1234 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:58 pm

I got my new rings recently and was surprised to find the oil control ring is completely different to the cast iron type with a spring behind it that was on the car from new .The new OC ring is a thin steel segmented pressing with a spring that pulls it into the piston , it seems so large that i am not sure the piston ring compressor will be able to bring its diameter down enough to get it into the liner .
Old oil control ring
New OC ring , much larger in diameter .
Has anyone had this problem or bought new rings from Peugeot recently , any advice would be welcome .
miles1234

piston ring

Postby t-rex » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:34 pm

miles1234 wrote:I got my new rings recently and was surprised to find the oil control ring is completely different to the cast iron type with a spring behind it that was on the car from new .The new OC ring is a thin steel segmented pressing with a spring that pulls it into the piston , it seems so large that i am not sure the piston ring compressor will be able to bring its diameter down enough to get it into the liner .
Old oil control ring
New OC ring , much larger in diameter .
Has anyone had this problem or bought new rings from Peugeot recently , any advice would be welcome .

your compressor will compress the ring to the size of the piston, so no bother.
Drive It Like You Stole It !!
t-rex

Postby miles1234 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:47 pm

Managed to fit all 4 pistons to the liners without any hassle , my Draper compressor did the trick ok , just a gentle tap with a mallet to get them into into the bore .Its surprising how much the oil control rings were squeezed down to fit .
miles1234

Return to Engines & Transmission