Welcome to the International Peugeot 309 Owners Club!

• Sponsors

• Sponsors

What am I doing wrong? (steering column alignment)

Seats, carpets, steering wheels, Electrical, Batteries, ICE, Alarms, Immobilisers

What am I doing wrong? (steering column alignment)

Postby OhDeer » Sat May 02, 2015 3:50 pm

I've had the dash to bits on my late phase 2 again to change one of the illumination bulbs in the instrument cluster and to glue a bit of cracked plastic.

Now I'm having a real nightmare getting the steering column back in position again. Things aren't helped by the lack of a long enough socket so I've now gashed my hand slipping off the nuts with the spanner and run out of patience. :mad:

If I just naively slap it on the centre of the steering wheel is getting on for an inch higher than the dash part behind it which I'm sure it didn't used to be, and more to the point it is rubbing making a horrible noise and twisting the plastic (which I think is why it got cracked!)

If I can't get it to line up I'm going to have to resort to shoving some fat washers in on steering column bolts. Obviously I don't like that idea because I'm just moving the problem somewhere else (seems safe enough, but still clearly wrong!).
OhDeer

Re: What am I doing wrong? (steering column alignment)

Postby miles1234 » Tue May 05, 2015 10:18 pm

I can't picture what you mean when you say its out of alignment , could you put up a picture of it .
miles1234

Postby OhDeer » Tue May 05, 2015 11:05 pm

I've got a socket coming tomorrow hopefully so will have another go at re-assembling it and take a photo if I can't get it sorted out. I'll have to get it bolted on some how because I need the car on Thursday so fingers crossed :-s

What is basically happening is that the steering wheel is catching on the main trim piece that surrounds the instrument cluster and has the switches for fog lights, hazard flasher, etc.
All I can think is that the whole dash has warped/drooped down somehow but I can't imagine how. Hopefully I can avoid taking all the trim panels out, though I suppose that would at least give me the opportunity to try and cure some of the squeaks and rattles where the plastic is rubbing!
OhDeer

Postby OhDeer » Wed May 06, 2015 3:53 pm

Right, my long socket came so I've re-assembled everything as it should be (i.e. no washers jammed in) and have got it as well aligned as I can. The wheel's not binding up against the plastic but time will tell if it scrapes and squeaks when steering sharply.

It's pretty hard to get a photo showing the lack of clearance, here's the best I could get:

As you can see there's effectively zero gap between the foam around the steering column at the back of the steering wheel, and the arch in the top piece of plastic. You can see where it has snagged in the past and torn a chunk of foam out of the wheel as well as where the plastic cracked from the stress of being twisted about by the wheel hitting it :(
OhDeer

Postby miles1234 » Wed May 06, 2015 8:17 pm

Have just compared your steering wheel to dash fit to my own ph2 and yours is a lot tighter , looks like the top section is sitting too low . Did it always rub like this or has it just started , have you got the correct steering wheel fitted - ph1 and ph2 are different .
You could pack the steering column with a washer or two to make it lower but make sure its safe .
miles1234

Postby OhDeer » Wed May 06, 2015 8:39 pm

miles1234 wrote:Have just compared your steering wheel to dash fit to my own ph2 and yours is a lot tighter , looks like the top section is sitting too low . Did it always rub like this or has it just started , have you got the correct steering wheel fitted - ph1 and ph2 are different .
You could pack the steering column with a washer or two to make it lower but make sure its safe .

It's been rubbing for a while, I think before I had the panels apart at all, but it seemed like it was worse when I put it together last week. I now think probably it was just that I hadn't found the sweet spot where it juuuuust misses. Pretty much everything is original so I'm sure it's the correct wheel etc.

There's plenty of thread on those studs so it ought to be safe giving it a bit extra with a couple of washers, it just makes me wonder if something is wrong somewhere else further in. Of course it's possible the plastic has just distorted and sagged under its own weight over the years :-?
OhDeer

Return to Interior, Electrical, ICE & Security