Welcome to the International Peugeot 309 Owners Club!

• Sponsors

• Sponsors

Nice little find

Let us know how your Peugeot 309 is looking

Nice little find

Postby EDP » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:34 am

Had a phone call the other day from a guy I do electrical jobs for.

He said a guy he drank with was trying to shift some old cars from his drive so he could get a valuation on his property.

He mentioned he had a couple of old peugeots and my ears pricked up. I asked him to let me know what he had and I was hoping for a 205 1FM

Anyway, my mate said he would pop round and report back his findings. He rang me the next day and told me he had a 505 and a 309. He said the 309 was a GTi and in a bit of state but suggested I went over and took a proper look as he was none the wiser.

Well I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived. Although filthy, the car was very straight. A couple of small blemishes and a little bit of rust around the top of the windscreen. It had been parked up for over 2 years in the same spot and not MOT'd since 2006.

I asked about the history and the chap said his son owned it and I had best speak to him on the phone. The son is a peugeot mechanic at robins and day peugeot in walton on thames. He bought the car new in 1991 and he's had it ever since. It has a loads of history and as you expect all OE peugeot parts used. He said the boot is full of spare parts including a spoiler in its original GTI16 box. I asked him if the car would start and said the fuel pipes need replacing but "since the engine was rebuilt by Richard Longman in 2000 it should be fine", pardon I said Richard Longman??? "yeah its a rebuilt Mi16 under the bonnet hasn't my dad shown you? i've got the paper too if you want it." I was certainly interested in it now

So the long and the short of it is I paid him £650 for a 1 owner from new, rebuilt Longman Mi16, with 97k on the clock. She's certainly not a minter (yet) but its a good shell with some great history. Once back at home I went to task with the pressure washer and was pleasantly surprised how the bodywork came up. I was melting by this point and it was beer o'clock. Its missing a few internal parts so if anyone has any 309 parts let me know.

Jobs to do include a full service, replace the fuel lines. New tyres all round, new badges and reg plates and sort out the internal parts. Then MOT and see what happens!
EDP

Postby EDP » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:35 am

Couple of other before and after pictures

EDP

Postby miles1234 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:26 pm

That's a right result you've had there , good luck getting it back on the road . Hope to see you at a few events .
miles1234

Postby owen » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:25 pm

With an Mi ready fitted
You lucky fella.. looks great
DAILY DRIVER, VERY TIDY 309 STYLE,
AND LONG TERM PROJECT,405 MI16X4

PREVIOUS
BLACK 309 GTI ,
WHITE 309 D TURBO,
GOLD 309 D TURBO,
TURBO GOODWOOD,
I Know Your All Roosterd Up
But I Aint Feeling Ya Cocka Doodle Do.
owen

Postby owen » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:22 pm

Whats happend with the 505..any pics.. :)
DAILY DRIVER, VERY TIDY 309 STYLE,
AND LONG TERM PROJECT,405 MI16X4

PREVIOUS
BLACK 309 GTI ,
WHITE 309 D TURBO,
GOLD 309 D TURBO,
TURBO GOODWOOD,
I Know Your All Roosterd Up
But I Aint Feeling Ya Cocka Doodle Do.
owen

Postby G. » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:03 pm

That's came up quite well and what a find too! There are a few badges on eBay at the moment btw.
G.

Postby BazGTMi » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:57 pm

Hello Ed you jammy bastard! Nice find to go with the 205's! I have a load of interior bits, give me a shout with a list bud!

Baz
205Parts@uk7.net - 205 & 309 Parts.

205 Longman GpA 1.9 8v Racer
205 16v Evo Racer
2x 205 1.6 Challenge Rally Car
205 GTi 1.6 Road/Sprint Toy, V70R AWD & 855 Turbo AWD
BazGTMi

Re: Nice little find

Postby EDP » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:10 pm

Just to add to this thread of what has happened with the 309 since I got her home. I gave her a full service, brakes, oil, filter the lot and booked her in for an mot.

Unfortunately she failed. The sills at the rear by the petrol tank were badly corroded and needed some attention to get her through the mot. There was also a small petrol leak from one of the rear pipes which was an easy fix.

I've since replaced the alternator and belt as the old belt simply destroyed itself! I've also replaced the four fog and driving lights in the from valence as they were all cracked. Luckily amongst the various spare parts that came with the car the previous owner had managed to buy 5 spare lights so what a result!

I've also been replacing various broken interior parts. It was missing loads of parts too so I've been trawling the internet and I'm nearly there! Some new mats are next on the list...

I have to say I love driving this car, it absolutely grips the road. Its a shame they never caught on because they are fantastic. With the mi16 it pulls like a train and it feels like you don't need to brake for corners. Once on the road after the mot we took it to Dartmouth (9 hour round trip) and she drove without fault.
EDP

Return to Cars