Welcome to the International Peugeot 309 Owners Club!

• Sponsors

• Sponsors

New owner

Introduce yourself, tell us about you and your motor

New owner

Postby bigmark45 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:37 pm

Hi Everyone,
My name is Mark and I live in Ireland. I've just purchased a 1990 1.3 309 Look on ebay (white one), which some of you might have seen.
It's my first 309 and I'm looking forward to getting it home and start to enjoy it. The car is in the south of England and I'll get it back here in the next week or so. Buying unseen is not something I do often, but the car does seem to be in exceptional condition with FSH, every bill and mot present and has a long current mot.I'm new to Peugeot ownership, but have had many Citroens, and 2 Renaults, so no stranger to French cars and their idiosyncrasies.
All the best.
Mark
bigmark45

Re: New owner

Postby miles1234 » Sat May 06, 2017 12:26 am

Hi , good to hear you have found a nice 309 and are going to look after it , so many of the non GTI's seem to be just run into the ground so hopefully yours will see many more years use .
Not to sure how many events there are in Ireland for classic/retro cars but there are plenty in the UK if you wanted to come over for a weekend ,eg Retro show at Santa Pod , French car show at Donnington , Pugfest at Prescott and loads more .
Miles .
miles1234

Postby bigmark45 » Mon May 15, 2017 8:52 am

Thanks Miles. There's no Peugeot specific events in Ireland that I know of, but plenty of generic retro shows. I might come to one of the events in England though.
I've also bought a Peugeot 305 1983 1.5 that I suspect has a faulty coolant temp sensor. I can't seem to locate it. Do you or anyone know where this is on this engine?

Regards
Mark
bigmark45

Postby miles1234 » Mon May 15, 2017 8:36 pm

I have never worked on a 305 and don't know the first thing about them but it shouldn't be too difficult to find . Most water temp sensors are screwed into the cylinder head or thermostat housing , did they do a Haynes manual for a 305 as that would show its location .
miles1234

Postby bigmark45 » Tue May 16, 2017 10:03 am

I found it, it's in between the thermostat housing and the alternator. At first glance you'd think it was part of the alternator, which was why I'd missed it. Cheers, Mark
bigmark45

Postby bigmark45 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:15 am

Well the 309 arrived and it was as nice as I'd hoped. I gave it a full service, oil, all filters, plugs and fresh coolant and it runs very well indeed and is not tappety. It's got 77k on it and was overdue a service. The tracking needed done as well, which was done straightaway. It's got full service history up to 66k, but probably hadn't had a service since judging by the state of the spark plugs. I noticed the car'd temperature gauge was reading very low and checked the thermostat housing to find there was no thermostat in it! Slightly worried I bought a new one and fitted it, but no problem as car now warms up quickly and doesn't overheat.
Bodywork and interior is almost as new and car is driving lovely. Have just bought new brake discs, pads and a cv boot to replace one that's split. So these will be done this week, along with a slight blow in the exhaust that needs attending to. Only other thing I've noticed is the passenger side headlamp is cracked and has had an mot compliant/repair done, but I will change it before the next mot as they're cheap to buy and will look much better.

The 1.3 engine in this is surprisingly nippy and very willing. Considering it's only got 64 HP it goes really well and has a nice sound to it as well. Also starts first tip of the key hot or cold. Very pleased with the car.
bigmark45

Return to Newbies