Welcome to the International Peugeot 309 Owners Club!

• Sponsors

• Sponsors

Clear Dials

Changed your clutch, removed the engine? Let us know the pitfalls and what to watch out for

Clear Dials

Postby HimBigChief » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:50 pm

Right then guys, here's how you can get clear dials instead of your standard ones. If you want to keep your standard dials with the correct mileage, then follow the guide down to removing the clear face sections from the BX dials, and then simply follow the guide up to the same point with your Peugeot dials and simply put the clear faces into your clocks.

First things first, you need to get yourself a set of dials from a Citroen BX as these have clear plastic backing instead of the orange backing on the Peugeot dials (see pics further down). First step is to take the clear front off the dials, this is done by first removing the rubber/plastic collar on the trip reset, then you need to lift 3 locking tabs on the top and the 2 on the side, the clear section should then pivot off the dials, this leaves with the faces themselves. Mark on the surround where the needles point to now so you don't forget later on!

Next step is to remove the needles, personally I just use a fork to do this as it doesn't damage the dials or the needles. You will also need to undo the 4 screws (2 on the speedo, and 2 on the rev counter).

Once all needles are removed, you should end up with this:

You then need to remove the gauge faces, and as they are glued on with French glue, this is an easy job. First remove all the 5mm screws/bolts around the outside of the faces. To remove the two outside face panels, you can get a small screwdriver under the corners as there is nothing for them to stick to there and start lifting, you can then peel the faces off.

To remove the centre ones, I found it easier to undo the bolts on the back and to push the whole dials through, it is then easy to remove the faces. Once done, it should look like this (notice the glue residue on the clear parts):

You then need to remove the glue residue from the clear faces, this is easily done with a little elbow grease and some white spirit.

Once completed, here they are in all there cleaned and glue free glory.

At this point, if you wanted clear dials you would just need to mark on the faces where the speeds were and job's a good'un! You can also change your dash bulbs now to give a different coloured glow to the standard white bulbs. I'm going for stainless dials though, so the rest of this is how to fit them.

As I had previously fitted my stainless dials to my other clocks, I knew roughly what to do, however I had to be careful in removing them. As you can see, I have removed one side of the stainless dials from the original dials into the new ones, and here you can see the different coloured backings as I mentioned earlier.

Once I had moved all the stainless dials across and fitted my modified needles, here's how it looks minus cover:

And here's the 2 of them together once I had rebuilt them both to make storage easier and obviously fit back into the Goodwood!

As you can probably tell by the amount of pics and stuff, I was a little bit bored earlier on! :o ops:
Image Image
Project Goodwood .................................................. 406 2.1TD Executive
HimBigChief

Re: Clear Dials

Postby Pugman211 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:17 am

That's a really good, well described guide though James!!!! I was wondering how you got your clocks to look so good!!! 8) 8)
F reg 309 Mi16, in need of a rebuild!!!!
Pugman211

Postby MasterOfSpeedGTi » Thu May 08, 2008 2:44 pm

Nice guide mate 8) any pics of how this looks in the dark? :D
You feel better in my Peugeots!

No guts no glory
MasterOfSpeedGTi

Postby HimBigChief » Thu May 08, 2008 3:23 pm

I tried, but the auto flash was coming on, and when I tried it without the flash, you couldn't really see anything. They look good though! Will try to get some pics in the dusk if I can. May have to charge the battery on the car so may not be tonight.
Image Image
Project Goodwood .................................................. 406 2.1TD Executive
HimBigChief

Return to Dummies Guide to....