Welcome to the International Peugeot 309 Owners Club!

• Sponsors

• Sponsors

leaking boot on my 87

Know of any common faults?

leaking boot on my 87

Postby pjc » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:22 pm

Water is getting in to the boot area but I can't seem to trace where it's coming from.This has been happening over a period of time and is causing some rust near to the lights /floor etc which will need adressing.I have noticed when the tailgate is closed there is a gap of about an inch or so between the rubber seal at the top and the roof.is this normal or should it be a lot less?
pjc

Re: leaking boot on my 87

Postby miles1234 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:01 pm

Water leaking into the boot is a problem on 309's unfortunately .I have seen phase 1's where the glass tailgate has dropped because the steel fixing bar along the top of the glass has moved .
Normally water runs down the channel under the tailgate and onto the rear lights , make sure there are no cracks in the lamp body and then refit it with a bead of silicone sealant on the seal .
I have seen water run down the C posts ( below rear speakers ), its hard to be sure where its coming from but the sunroof frame fixing bolts , tailgate seal , leaking sunroof drain tubes could all be suspects .If you remove the carpet from the sides of the boot look for rust spots to show the track of the water .
The cubby holes on each side of the boot can rust badly , remove the plastic jack box from the RH cubby to check it .
miles1234

Postby pjc » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:35 pm

No sunroof on this car! .I'm interested in the size of gap at the top (rubber to roof) when the gate is closed.unfortunately no 309's to compare with locally and can't see on any closeups on the net.the rubber spoiler is also start ing to become unfixed at the edges.I shall keep investigating.
pjc

Postby miles1234 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:15 pm

Not having a sunroof rules out a few of the problems .I had a non sunroof that leaked a bit and I wondered if water was getting past the boot seal or through the small hole with the rubber grommet which the water pipe goes through .Its possible for the glass to metal join of the tailgate to leak , that would be a tricky one to fix .
During the winter I would remove the boot mat if its parked outside , its like a sponge to the water and without it its easier to spot leaks .
Try the rear light and mastic thing first and have a good look for cracks in the lamp body caused by overtightening , water gets in through them .
miles1234

Return to Common Faults