Welcome to the International Peugeot 309 Owners Club!

• Sponsors

• Sponsors

Engine rebuild and modification

Let us know how you getting on with you Peugeot 309, what have you replaced, what are you planning to do, etc

Postby tricky » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:21 pm

Youre damn right v8s are cool my brother owns a capri with a rover SD1 v8 lump AND it has a holly four barel carb setup this car is sooooo much fun. . . . .

Lancia Delta integrale EVO
Kwackasaki KX 250 F
Pug 309 GTI - Now sold :(
tricky

Postby super-pug-gti » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:57 pm

That car must be amazing around islands!!! :wink:
My Chimaera didnt have powersteering so it made islands and tight bends EXTREMELY fun!!! :D
My girlfriend refused to get into it before i sold it as apparantely it was 'dangerous'!!! :D
The main thing i bought it for was the noise - i'd heard TVR's as a kid and i'd always wanted one, so it was kind of like a childhood fantasy come true!!! :wink:
'88 Pug 309 GTi 3 door
'92 Pug 309 GTi Mi16 3dr - SOLD :(
'95 Subaru Impreza Turbo WRX Jdm edition, fully facelifted, P1 wheels and running 303BHP!!!
super-pug-gti

Postby tricky » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:23 pm

AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHHH. How annoying - I had a cool video of the car going past the camera, sounding like an intercity train. We were down southend last nite and I got a mate to drive my 309 past so I could hear what it sounded like from the pavement. BUT IT DIDNT SAVE ON THE CAMERA !

Any ways ive done about 450 miles in her now and slowly building up the revs. I took it up to about 5 grand last nite and she pulls really well with a lot lot more to go. Booked spot on the rollers for monday the 9th to see what it pulls.

I have a strong feeling a vernier pully is needed tho and Im seriously considering an aluminium flywheel and an Quaife ATB differential.
Please tell me if you think im going too far with this as I know what its like to own a car that is allmost unusable for the road.
Kwackasaki KX 250 F
tricky

Postby van cleef » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:26 pm

I'm not going to tell you that your going to far,im going to encourage you!!! :D
The differential is a good idea as it will help the traction especialy if your gonna use it for more than fast road use.

If you go for the mod's you are mentioning where next tricky your gonna eventialy run out of thing's to do. :lol:

Keep up the good work as that thing's deffinatley a sheep in wolf's clothing.
91 miami 309 gti fixer uper(NOW SOLD)
55 plate Renaultsport Megane 225 cup
56 plate VW Caddy work horse weapon of choice
07 Toniq R (Fireblade)
van cleef

Postby super-pug-gti » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:48 am

If your going to get vernier pulleys, let me know what they're like as im thinking of getting some fitted to the MI16 engine!!! :D :wink:
'88 Pug 309 GTi 3 door
'92 Pug 309 GTi Mi16 3dr - SOLD :(
'95 Subaru Impreza Turbo WRX Jdm edition, fully facelifted, P1 wheels and running 303BHP!!!
super-pug-gti

Postby HimBigChief » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:10 pm

With regard to the diff, it will pay for itself eventually as you'll not be spinning up the inside tyre so tyre wear will be reduced!

That was just a blatant excuse to buy one there! :lol: :lol: If I could afford one, I'd definately have one!
Image Image
Project Goodwood .................................................. 406 2.1TD Executive
HimBigChief

Postby tricky » Wed May 16, 2007 7:51 pm

HI all heres a little update , ive been too busy at work for a few weeks now to get the gti on the rollers - but she was booked in today for a session at frankinstein.
We checked co. to start with wich was at over 8% then done a base run and she produced 102 BHP at the wheel ! Shocking stuff eh !
After a few adjustments to the air corrector jets and we pulled up the ignition timing a few degrees then tryed a couple more runs on the dyno and she made 132 which still isnt that great - but a big improvement for a few simple changes tho- It was pointless to do any more, as I have said before it needs a vernier cam pully as its holding back through out the rev range. so ill let U know when ive got one fitted and been back on the rollers. A 132 BHP figure isnt right - im hoping for around 170 at the flywheel maybe im being a bit too hopefull !! what do you think ??
Kwackasaki KX 250 F
tricky

Postby Rally Slag » Wed May 16, 2007 10:37 pm

to be honest m8 if u have 170bhp at the flywheel u probley would have around 140bhp mayby 145bhp tops at the wheels due to transmission losses. at the end of the day its not about how much power you was hoping for, its about how fast the car feels, does it feel as quick as you hopped it would feel, or was your expecting it to be better? i would wait and get the vernier pully 1st before doing anything else to the engine, if your camshaft was a badly made one of the batch or woteva then it will make a big difference, camshaft timing is very important, just half a tooth on a 16 valve engine can give u a noticible power loss, not so bad on an 8 valve which i no urs is but if the cam is that out then you could well be a hole tooth out which is alot for any engine really
Rally Slag
1966 Ford Mustang Coupe
1995 Citroen AX
Rally Slag

Postby tricky » Thu May 17, 2007 11:02 am

dont get me wrong it feels realy quick between 4- 5500 rpm, and the midrange has improved alot since it was overfueling badly before it went on the rolllers, the cam ive fitted is rated between 2500- 7000 grand but its peaking around 5900 then flatlining after that. When I was building it I had a strong feeling it would need a vernier as the head has been skimed alot and when I timed it up it was around 5-10 deg retarded which is about half a tooh on the belt. I dont expect fitting a vernier to gain 20 hp just even out the graph on the top end. How did you come to the figure of 25-30 hp on transmission loss ? using my own calculations working backwards from the actual wheel figure the flywheel produces 157 bhp at the moment. Its not that im really interested in BHP figures anyway - just want a more smoth curve. For power i considerd fitting a 16v engine with similer modifications if not more- but thats not really what this car is about, I bought it purposely to be restored as a modified classic hot hatch - hence no smily front grill or bucket seats or 16v engine. I have other cars that get used for scary performance.
Kwackasaki KX 250 F
tricky

Postby Rally Slag » Thu May 17, 2007 10:55 pm

i've allways gone for a rough guide of 20-25% loss through transmission so say you have a enigne which makes 100bhp at the fly your looking at between 75-80bhp at the wheels, i know its not an acurate way, but as a rough guide will probly do, but obviously the more power you have the larger amount of bhp you will loose at the wheel end, the tranmission loss is the same but the percentige just gets bigger. so in theory a 200bhp at the flywheel engine would only make around 160bhp area at the wheels.

i could be totaly wrong, im not 100% sure what the exact power loss figures are for these engines and boxes but just for a rough guide it will do

i say get the vernier fitted and then get it on the rollers to get set up again and see what it does, yes you may well only get a small power increase but i think it would make the power curve a bit smoother and you may have peak power up to the 7000rpm mark where the cam is rated to.

I say stick to the 8v everyones got a 16v now adays i'm keeping both my cars 8v, love the torque they produce, loads of fun, you can get good power out of them they just cost more, way you need to look at it is that your allready spent loads of money and time building the 8v engine do you really want to start over again with a 16v one
Rally Slag
1966 Ford Mustang Coupe
1995 Citroen AX
Rally Slag

PreviousNext

Return to Work in Progress