Welcome to the International Peugeot 309 Owners Club!

• Sponsors

• Sponsors

309 GTi Project

Let us know how you getting on with you Peugeot 309, what have you replaced, what are you planning to do, etc

309 GTi Project

Postby bobdylan_55 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:42 pm

hi guys, new here, but im a regular on 106 forum rallye reg and own http://www.xsir.co.uk, but basically im going to look at a 309 gti tommorow :D
Its not got an MOT tho, but the guy says he doesnt know what if anything it would fail on. Any areas or parts i should check over when i go to look at it? ive heard rust can be bad? which areas are worst etc. Whats the rear beams like on them? bearings etc? its a 1988 model Cheers
bobdylan_55

Re: 309 viewng tommorow, any tips?

Postby Moz_Goodwood_309 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:48 pm

try here first mate anymore questions then feel free to ask :D

http://www.309ownersclub.com/Community/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3336

205 owners can suck my wide track

2006 307 HDi ~ Black

1999 Impreza RB5 ~ [color="gray"]Cool Steel[/color]

1992 309 Goodwood GTi ~ [color="green"]Pinewood Green[/color]
Moz_Goodwood_309

Postby d-9 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:17 pm

take a look on one of the rebuild threads, pretty much everyone whos got a p2 has posted photos of the rusty bits between the fuel tank and sill. Id say its a pretty safe bet it'll either have been welded or need welding there! If you cant find a thread, do a search for my posts, theres some pics of mine around somewhere.

Otherwise, usual stuff, if the rear beam hasnt been rebuilt (look for recipts) you have to assume its fucked and needs a £300 rebuild, XU 8vs are usually a bit smokey but go on for ever, 309s leak like a sieve, so pull the back seats up and check for mould.

btw, do you still have your compbrake handbrake for sale? Anyone popped up on xsir with my old matt black XSI?
Doug [the fish]

309 GTI - awaiting preperation
Audi A6 - significantly slower than yaw
d-9

Postby bobdylan_55 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:44 pm

cheers guys, was looking in the wrong place i think.
that was my bro rajjinator who was selling the compbrake mate and yep its gone now. and not sure about your xsi, join up its free and have a gander ;)

anyway of telling if rear beam is knackered without driving it? as its got no mot and nobody insured on it. is it just a jack up and wiggle job LOL that sounds wrong.

also where abouts is the fuel tank and sill bit you talk about rusting? drivers side about midway back?
bobdylan_55

Postby Moz_Goodwood_309 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:33 am

the sills just in front of the rear wheels (inbetween the tank and sills both sides)

as for the rear beam excessive camber (tyres worn unevenly) no bounce on the rear suspention (sitting on the stops if the beams collapsed)

most have poor idle but doesnt take much to sort out, make sure its not smoking or burning to much oil and let the engine warm and make sure the fans kick in as thats another common thing to go

most things are relatively easy and cheap to fix except the rust, smoke (usually valve stem seals) and the rear beam

set aside £350 for a recon rear beam, £200+ valve stem seals, and a few hundred for the rust (unless you can do it yourself of course)

use these as bargining tools, clutch and cambelts are circa £140 each in a garage aswell

hope this helps and let us know how you got on :D

205 owners can suck my wide track

2006 307 HDi ~ Black

1999 Impreza RB5 ~ [color="gray"]Cool Steel[/color]

1992 309 Goodwood GTi ~ [color="green"]Pinewood Green[/color]
Moz_Goodwood_309

Postby d-9 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:51 am

bobdylan_55 wrote:anyway of telling if rear beam is knackered without driving it? as its got no mot and nobody insured on it. is it just a jack up and wiggle job LOL that sounds wrong.

Look for recipts to show its been rebuilt, if you cant see em, then the beam is knackerd. Obvious signs like camber or movement mean the bearings are already destroyed and the tube and shafts are knackerd, so the beam is scrap.

But dont assume that its ok if its not showing these signs, mine was shot and showed no signs at all from the outside.
Doug [the fish]

309 GTI - awaiting preperation
Audi A6 - significantly slower than yaw
d-9

Postby bobdylan_55 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:43 am

Well one 40 mile round trip and £275 later, im the proud owner of this beast.....

lol needs 'some' work to put it bluntly, but i couldnt turn it down for £275, gotta be worth that in spares.

Right i checked the seats, no mould, so had them out just encase, no rust :O
theres a few very small patches of rust, like 50p size scattered around, but all on non structural parts so can be just sanded and derusted and painted :)
Engine seems ok, idled ok and pulled well, but was a little smoky, but its having a full rebuild anyway :)
Rear beam "seems" ok, no movement when it was jacked up, and the guys house was in the middle of nowhere so had a little drive and was no knocking etc.
He has also chucked in an entire bootful of spares ie bumpers, interior (seats etc) lots of random plastic :)
boot glass was solid, and when closed was solid, but when it was open the hinges seemed a bit loose, they just look like pins tho? so replace the worn pins?
Will report back when ive took delivery via my mate and his trade plates :)
cheers for the help guys
bobdylan_55

Postby jord294 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:33 pm

phase 1 bootlids do have replacement pins, but i'd recommend buying new hinges

the complete hinge will bolt through the screen and bolt onto the car body. usually a blob of weld on there aswell

from experience, i can tell you they're a pain to get right

if you do need a re-furb beam, i'd be glad to help :)
'88 205 gti 'LONG TERM PROJECT ON TWIN 45s'
[b]'96 106 XN 55mpg 'DAILY HACK'

RE-FURBISHED 205/306 and 309 GTI REAR BEAMS IN STOCK
jord294

Postby Siert » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:23 pm

Do have a look at the sills where they are behind the fuel tank as well, as everybody said. Because more likely then not after removing the fuel tank and poking a bit it will look like this (as you can see it's the spot exactly above the jack point).
1990 309 1.6 XLS
1978 Citroën GS Club
Siert

Postby Pugman211 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:45 pm

i've seen pics of that car before!! think it was on ebay maybe, asi think it didnt run right on tickover could be worng tho! Good luck and start a new thread with what u find wrong with the car!
F reg 309 Mi16, in need of a rebuild!!!!
Pugman211

Next

Return to Work in Progress