Welcome to the International Peugeot 309 Owners Club!

• Sponsors

• Sponsors

309 GTI Goodwood suspension and brake rebuild

Let us know how you getting on with you Peugeot 309, what have you replaced, what are you planning to do, etc

Re: 309 GTI Goodwood suspension and brake rebuild

Postby miles1234 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:23 pm

The Goodwood is now put away in my neighbours garage , have Sorned it till i am ready to bring it out on the 1st of May .
miles1234

Postby miles1234 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:04 am

https://ee.mms.ee.co.uk/eeuk/message/2/ ... 1120116413
Stuart just sent me this pic of his mate driving the Goodwood at Pugfest , I hadn't seen it before and its a great photo .
miles1234

Postby miles1234 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:18 pm

This is the 'Coventry car day' event in August 2015 celebrating all the vehicles made in the Coventry area , we met in a country park and then convoyed into the town centre .
[Image*]
FCS at Donnington circuit , not as big a show as the main FCS .
[Image*]
This is a picture taken by my mate Steve while I was driving up into the mountains in France near the Swiss border while we were on our visit to the Peugeot factory and Museum in October this year .
[Image*]
miles1234

Postby miles1234 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:13 pm

Started tidying up the engine bay today , replaced lots of nuts and bolts on the engine and ancillaries with freshly plated ones . Removed the inlet manifold , throttle body and air flow meter and started to degrease and clean them up ready for paint . Took the throttle body apart and modified the spindle and butterfly to flow more air by turning it down to under 8mm from its original size of 10mm .
I have a plated fuel rail which I will paint with black engine enamel and refit when its all done .
Have found a tiny bit of damage to one of the wires from the AFM so will repair it then cover it in heatshrink then rewrap it in black tape .
Not sure if I can be bothered to paint the alternator but it will stand out if I don't , I might try to strip down a spare and have the pulley and fan plated .
miles1234

Postby miles1234 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:52 pm

The inlet manifold , throttle body and fuel rail are ready to refit , the AFM will take a bit longer to clean up .I have stripped down a couple of spare Valeo alternators so I can send the pulley and fan off to be replated .
[Image*]
Have painted the injectors with some Humbrol black paint that I had left over from some Airfix kits .
[Image*]
miles1234

Postby Willsy » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:11 pm

That looks really good Miles! Engine bay will look really nice when you get all these bits bolted back on.
Willsy

Postby miles1234 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:34 pm

Cleaning up the air flow meter was a tricky job because you cannot just put it in a bath of white spirit and start wire brushing it , I had to be careful to keep the innards clean and dry . The Bosch AFM has probably never been cleaned in its 24 years so was covered with that scale-like corrosion .
[Image*]
The scale was very thick and it would have taken ages to rub it off with a wire brush or wet and dry so I ended up using a sharp steel scraper to remove it then finished with wet and dry and white spirit . Didn't use the electric drill at all but probably took nearly 2 hours to get it to this stage .I removed the black plastic cap and silicone sealant but kept it in place for most of the job so the mechanism was protected .
[Image*]
Gave it a wipe over with thinners to make sure it was clean then masked off the electrical connector and the top of the casting where the mechanism is located .Sprayed on 3 coats of Simoniz silver engine enamel ( same as I have used for the inlet manifold and cam cover etc ) Once it was dry I refitted the top cover with a thin bead of silicone sealant .
[Image*]
Refitted all the parts to the Goodwood with more plated nuts , bolts and washers . I had also removed and rubbed down the fuel pressure regulator , that took about 50 mins but once painted it has come up nicely . I need to do all this again with the AFM and FPR for the Miami but will leave it for a while as its bloody boring work !
miles1234

Postby miles1234 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:55 pm

While the other 309 is away at the welders I have been doing some work on the Goodwood to keep busy . Its 5 years since I rebuilt the rear beam so I have stripped the trailing arms and torsion bars off and regreased the bearings after checking for wear . I then reset them all using a dummy damper which I did not have at the time I did the original work .
I regapped the spark plugs and checked the CO on tickover with my Gunsons meter . Checked all fluids and topped up the PAS fluid and replaced the windscreen washer water with some new purple stuff from Halfords .
I was getting some noise from the windscreen blower so I dropped it down and cleaned out the inevitable leaves from the fan . I undid the 2 screws and separated it to get to the motors workings which were full of smaller leaves and debris . After putting a drop of oil on the bearing I reassembled it all and once refitted the fan is now silent at all speeds .
[Image*]
miles1234

Postby miles1234 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:18 pm

I will be bringing the goodwood out of the garage in the next few days , I will change the oil and filter then tax it ready for the first show of the year which will be the Basingstoke festival of transport in early May .
miles1234

Postby miles1234 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:51 pm

I have made up a fuel pressure gauge that can be put into the fuel feed to the injector rail while the engine is running . Put it on the Goodwood and started the engine and the gauge is reading 2.4 Bar , it should be 3 Bar so I may have a weak fuel pump as I have pressure tested the injectors/rail/regulator and they are releasing pressure at 3 Bar . Will need to do a bit of investigation in the next few weeks .
miles1234

PreviousNext

Return to Work in Progress