[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Welcome to the International Peugeot 309 Owners Club! • View topic - 309 GTI total rebuild into race replica

Welcome to the International Peugeot 309 Owners Club!

• Sponsors

• Sponsors

309 GTI total rebuild into race replica

Let us know how you getting on with you Peugeot 309, what have you replaced, what are you planning to do, etc

Re: 309 GTI total rebuild into race replica

Postby miles1234 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:56 pm

Back from holiday now so spent a few hours today cleaning some parts then hung the wirebrushed block from the roof and flushed all the dirt and grit out of it , used bottle brushes in the oilways .
[*]
[*]
Spent 2 hours cleaning the passenger side front wheel arch , all the oil and dirt is gone now so i can start to get it ready for primer .That's both front arches done now , the coating of oil has helped keep the rust under control .
[*]
miles1234

Postby miles1234 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:18 am

The block is now painted , 2 coats of black engine enamel .
[*]
miles1234

Postby miles1234 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:25 pm

I have bits for this car arriving in the post all the time at the moment , got the Speedline SL434's last week and will be getting the tyres fitted tomorrow . Will not be posting too much on here for a while as I will be writing about this replica project in the PSCUK magazine 'Torque' , but will put up some photos .
Eddie has got me new liners , rings and bearings for this engine which I will be picking up this weekend .
miles1234

Postby jord294 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:40 pm

didn't think the car you are trying to replicate used the sl434s?? could be mistaken though
jord294

Postby miles1234 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:42 pm

The race cars used Speedline SL431 which were a magnesium rim in 7x15 size , these are very rare and expensive so I am using the SL434 which is 6.75x15 and looks the same but is aluminium so is a bit more affordable - still cost £595 for the 4 wheels , bolts and delivery .
Took them up to Elite just off the A13 and got my new tyres fitted this week , I went for Michelin Pilot Sports in the 195/50/15 size , much better value at £220 fitted .They look the business , can't wait to fit them to the finished car .
miles1234

Postby miles1234 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:02 am

Spent an hour last night measuring up the sizes for the stickers which I am having made . Took some sizes from the car ( width of headlamp or front grille ) and calculated the dimensions of each individual sticker by comparing to some of the race car photos I have .Will be sending them off to the guy who is making them today so I should have the whole sticker kit nice and early so no delays later .
miles1234

Postby miles1234 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:07 pm

Got the front ends welding sorted yesterday , the passenger arch 'mud guard' is now fixed in place and I used 2 small pools of Mig weld to fix the modified bonnet prop bracket to the strut top .Spot welded the small repair patch to the bottom of the drivers side headlamp panel .Have given it all a coat or two of etch primer .
I am using a 306 GTI/6 potentiometer type throttle position switch on this engine and was having trouble finding a new one so I bought a used one to check it fitted ok then searched using the Bosch part number and I found lots of new ones on German Ebay for about £31 . I need to make a 5mm thick adaptor plate to fit it to my throttle body .
miles1234

Postby miles1234 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:21 pm

Have posted off another load of plating to Electroplate UK , 12 kilos of every bolt and bracket I could find in the garage .
Have received my cambelt , tensioner and water pump kit in the post so will start to get the engine back together as soon as I get my bolts back .
miles1234

Postby miles1234 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:26 am

Had a go at removing the sprayed on underseal from the rear underside , took about 30 mins to do a small area with white spirit so will take forever to do the whole car so I will wirebrush it off and then clean off any residue .Wirebrushed lots of the seam sealer off and will try to finish off this week so I can get the welder to have a look at the bits I will be asking him to sort out .
Removed the windscreen carefully so I can prepare the scuttle and A pillars .
miles1234

Postby miles1234 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:54 am

The full set of stickers I have had made have arrived , ordered a couple of spares as well . Have put them away in the loft as they will be the last thing to go on the car .
Received a reply at last from the company in France that make the front bumper , the postage is very cheap considering the distance , I have paid for it and the pair of mirrors that they make to match the originals . Once it is delivered I will have to work out the best way to mount it , might use the original bumper irons and support but cut to suit and fibre glassed in place .
Have refitted the front subframe and rack plus front wings ready to trial assemble the car to check the tyre fit around the arches front and rear . Got the welder to have a look at the 309 this week and he has given me a quote to sort out the rot in the sills , rear arches and boot floor , I am now removing all the paint and sealer from those areas ready for me delivering the car to him .
miles1234

PreviousNext

Return to Work in Progress