[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Welcome to the International Peugeot 309 Owners Club! • View topic - 309 GTI total rebuild into race replica

Welcome to the International Peugeot 309 Owners Club!

• Sponsors

• Sponsors

309 GTI total rebuild into race replica

Let us know how you getting on with you Peugeot 309, what have you replaced, what are you planning to do, etc

Re: 309 GTI total rebuild into race replica

Postby Lewis205cti » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:03 pm

Cant wait to see this finished mate. will be amazing. keep the updates coming.
Lewis205cti

Postby miles1234 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:20 pm

Thanks Lewis , I am spending plenty of time at the garage on my day off and odd bits of time whenever I can but the progress is slow . At least I have all winter to get the car welded and ready for painting which will have to wait till it warms up around May .Now I have got my bolts back from plating the engine can start to go together - its in my kitchen at the moment .
Fitted a pair of new wishbones today and then the KW coilovers with the helper springs removed so I can get it low enough ( no weight in the car at the moment ), bolted it all in with the OMP strutbrace . Put an old disc , caliper and carrier on so I could try out the brake hose fit , the base model 309 has the bracket for the flexi hose fixing in a different point to the GTI and I hoped it would be ok but its badly out so I will have to grind it off and weld it back on in the correct place .
Had a gentle attempt at rolling the rear arch lip with a rubber mallet and it is surprisingly easy so I will do both arches once the welding is done .
miles1234

Postby miles1234 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:25 am

Some pics of the front end now the rust removal has finished , a couple of coats of etch primer on bare metal then normal grey primer over everything after a thorough cleaning with panel wipe and keying with 2000 grit W+D . The ' mud guard ' and some other inner arch areas have had some brushable seam sealer applied , its not as smooth as the original Peugeot stuff but should protect against stone chips .The brake pipe mounting bracket on the inner wing is going to be ground off and relocated as its in the wrong place for a GTI brake setup .
[*]
[*]
miles1234

Postby miles1234 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:27 am

The 309 is rolling on its new suspension at the moment as I check the wheels and tyres for any rubbing on the bodywork , I have folded up the rear wheel arch lip to give a bit more clearance .
miles1234

Postby arran1511 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:22 am

You didnt by any chance keep the XL badge off the tailgate did you please Miles? Mines in need of a bit of tlc...... :((
arran1511

Postby miles1234 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:45 pm

I gave lots of the bits that I removed from the XL to Eddie and I have lots of other parts in a box in my garage . Let me have a look next time I am down there and if I find it you can have it .How are your cars coming along Arran ?
miles1234

Postby miles1234 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:09 pm

The drivers door has dropped because the hinge pins are well worn , there is also a bit of surface rust around that area so I have removed the door by undoing the 4 bolts on the inside .I have hammered out the pins and they are of course knackered , the part of the hinge welded to the door aperture is fine and I have just run a reamer down the hole to clean out any crud and make sure its round . The part of the hinge that bolts to the door is quite worn so I have replaced them with a pair of good ones . As soon as I have cleaned up the area and primed it I will be refitting the parts with new the pins I have waiting - I have modified them slightly to fit better by filing off the lump on one end . Will do the same on the passenger door but its much less worn so might be able to sort it by just fitting new pins .I have one new door strap which will go on as well .
miles1234

Postby miles1234 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:47 am

After a lot of very boring wire brushing and use of a hot air gun I have managed to clean up the panels around the areas to be welded , the guy is going to try to fit me in during January or February to sort out the rear ends of the sills and the boot floor .
I am putting the engine together in my kitchen at the moment , I ordered a timing belt and water pump kit from Ebay and now I have come to fit it the water pump is wrong , will hold me up a bit while I get it changed .
miles1234

Postby Lewis205cti » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:49 pm

So It sounds like you'll be eating your Christmas dinner with an engine as the table decoration. Sounds good to me mate.
Keep up the amazing effort and have a great Xmas and New Years.
Lewis205cti

Postby miles1234 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:46 am

The engine is spotlessly clean so I do not get too many complaints about it in the kitchen , will move the bottom end to the garage once it is together though so I can do some more spraying in there !
I would like to have this 309 finished in time for Pugfest but that's probably unlikely , I have put my name down for the ' Pistons and props ' show at Sywell aerodrome on the 24/25 th of September and if its finished I will be bringing it to that show , if not the FCS Expo at Donnington will be its first show . Goodwood have bought back 'Hot hatch Sunday' for 2016 so I will be there in November and I would like to be at the NEC again for the big classic car show if I am lucky enough to be chosen so still plenty to do in 2016 even if I do finish the car in the middle of the summer .
Last edited by miles1234 on Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
miles1234

PreviousNext

Return to Work in Progress