Welcome to the International Peugeot 309 Owners Club!

• Sponsors

• Sponsors

309 GTI total rebuild into race replica

Let us know how you getting on with you Peugeot 309, what have you replaced, what are you planning to do, etc

Re: 309 GTI total rebuild into race replica

Postby miles1234 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:56 am

I finished making the aluminium adaptor plate for my new Bosch TPS , its a potentiometer type that will send a signal to the new ECU of the exact throttle opening .
[Image*]
The inlet manifold , throttle body and dummy AFM are all waiting to go on the engine now .
The bottom end of the engine is nearly done now , just waiting for the correct water pump to be posted out to me . The head is not ready yet so I will sit the short engine in the wooden cradle I made for it this week , its the same as the one the Miami engine is standing in at the moment , stops it wanting to tip over if it is on the angled base of the sump .
[Image*]
miles1234

Postby miles1234 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:43 pm

Just got the call from the guy who is doing the welding on my sills and boot floor , he wants the car in on Monday the 1st of February .
Will be able to make some real progress once that's finished .
miles1234

Postby miles1234 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:20 pm

I have had a big tidy up in my garage , lots of storage has been moved around to make room for the new compressor which is now sitting in a corner , will soon get another large rack which will give me even more space above the compressor to store parts . Will need all the room I can make once I am ready to spray the 309 so I have boxed lots of the Miami parts up and put them inside the car .Have found lots of steel parts hiding in boxes or bags so they have all gone into the 'plating' bucket .
miles1234

Postby miles1234 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:51 pm

While the 309 is at the welders I am sorting out some of the smaller jobs . I have recoloured some parcel shelves before but used Autoglym black spray dye , a guy on 205 GTI drivers tried some Rustoleum black fabric spray and got some good results so I bought 2 tins from Homebase . They are smaller than the Autoglym rattle can but I just managed to do the shelf and the tailgate trim with one can . Used some of the 2nd to finish them off , the tailgate was still quite dark and had just faded a little , the tailgate trim was from my XL so was a much lighter grey colour .
[Image*]
The end result is very good and the paint/dye soaks in well and does not sit on top of the fibres feeling crusty .The cans are £4.99 each and I will be using them again to do my headlining before it is refitted to the 309 .
[Image*]
miles1234

Postby miles1234 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:36 pm

Cars still at the welders , have run out of things to do on its parts so I have been getting the Goodwood ready for the summer .
PS , I need a PH 1 309 GTI centre console for car , I actually have the main part of the console and the carpeted sides and just need the top part which holds the gaiter .
miles1234

Postby miles1234 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:40 pm

Car is back from the welders , he has done a great job sorting out the rusty sills , arches and boot corner .I will just put a few pics on here as the work is being shown in a series of articles in the PSCUK magazine - Torque .
Drivers side rear arch before repairs .
[Image*]
And after .The top of this arch has some filler from an old dent so I will have to blend that in .
[Image*]
This is the boot cubby hole which would normally hold the jack - before work .
Image[*]
And with new metal welded in .
[Image*]
This is the repaired hole in the windscreen surround , I think he lead loaded this section .
[Image*]
miles1234

Postby miles1234 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:04 pm

Have spent many hours cleaning off the spray on underseal that's was applied many years ago to the underside of the 309 , there is light rust underneath it so I have wire brushed it all off and I am getting ready to prime and paint it .
While checking the fit of a few parts I have noticed that the new 'long' SKF driveshaft is not going into its hub correctly so I will need to make some modifications to the rear of the drive flange so the bearing is pulled tight when the hub nut is tightened .
After working on a 205 GTI recently with some fuel pressure problems I decided to make up a gauge that can be put into the fuel line . I bought a 7 bar gauge and T piece off ebay and then adapted it to fit the fuel rail and feed hose .Should be useful to check that the injectors are getting a stable 3 bar fuel feed .
miles1234

Postby miles1234 » Sat May 14, 2016 11:10 pm

Have spent many very boring hours under the rear end of the 309 , firstly wire brushing then cleaning it all with white spirit and finally painting it . Will be putting a 3rd coat on soon then I can get on with the bodywork prep .
I have painted the gearbox for this project tonight , 3 coats of Simoniz silver engine enamel .
miles1234

Postby miles1234 » Mon May 23, 2016 7:31 pm

Preparation of the body work is underway , been rubbing down and filling for a few days now and I never want to see a sheet of wet and dry again but will crack on with it !!
miles1234

Postby miles1234 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:24 pm

I am still preparing the 309 for paint , its taking an age but I am getting there . Got a 'dent man' in to sort out a few tricky creases on the body swage line and he did an amazing job . Have got my new spraying equipment set up and hope to be ready to go in the next couple of weeks .Engine is together and just waiting for a vernier cam pulley to do the final adjustments .
miles1234

PreviousNext

Return to Work in Progress