Welcome to the International Peugeot 309 Owners Club!

• Sponsors

• Sponsors

309 GTI total rebuild into race replica

Let us know how you getting on with you Peugeot 309, what have you replaced, what are you planning to do, etc

Re: 309 GTI total rebuild into race replica

Postby miles1234 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:16 pm

Got the 2nd coat of epoxy primer on the 309 today , rubbed it down after the first coat and got quite a good finish . Dried it all off then cleaned it with panel wipe and sprayed on the 2nd coat , looks good so I will give it a day to harden off and hope to start painting on Monday .
miles1234

Postby miles1234 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:29 pm

The 2 coats of epoxy primer went on nicely but I have had lots of problems painting the 309 , lots of issues with contamination and dimples in the paint , the compressor is also cutting out after 10 minutes so I have given up and I am now rubbing the paint back to a decent finish . I have found a local sprayer who is going to hire me his bay so should be making some progress soon .
miles1234

Postby Lewis205cti » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:22 pm

Miles I feel your pain with the paint finish, had similar with my Dimma. Spent many hours preparing, flatting and painting.
Having the right environment and tools to paint in and with will make all the difference. Fingers crossed for you mate, will be worth it when its all finished and on the road.
Lewis205cti

Postby miles1234 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:56 pm

The whole prep and paint thing is a time consuming nightmare until you start to get to grips with it . Now I have found a local spraybooth to hire I am making some progress , the bonnet , front and rear bumpers , tailgate , petrol flap , rear slatted panel , front grille and the bar that runs under it are all painted now . Will be doing the doors next after christmas then the bodyshell last of all .
How is your Dimma coming along Lewis ?
miles1234

Postby Lewis205cti » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:28 pm

Hi Miles

Dimma is going well thanks, been on the road since last July. (Went into winter hibernation in November)
I gave it a speedy paint job so that I could attend Pugfest last year in it. I just need to do the bonnet again as I only have time to give it two coats of paint and one lot of flattening back prior to its MOT and drive to Pugfest. Nothing like a 5hr round trip to test all the new and replaced parts on a car that had been parked up for over 6 years...

Mechanically it all sorted bar it needing a drivers side wheel bearing. Next focus if on its replacement TT engine, then I'll get it prepared for a professional paint job and a new hood.

Is the prep and paint part still consuming your time? much progress since Christmas?
Lewis205cti

Postby miles1234 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:09 pm

Its still coming along slowly , it just seems to take so long rubbing the dodgy paint back to a decent finish . Have started putting the stickers onto some of the panels at home in the evenings to save some time later .
miles1234

Postby Lewis205cti » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:23 pm

Good thinking, whatever you can do in the evenings in readiness for the final put together will be worth it.

I spent many evenings do odd bit and pieces. Being sad I logged all the time I spent working on the Dimma in the evenings, weekends and time taken off work.
Originally I listed the jobs in terms of what I thought each job would take time wise and cost wise, plus what jobs could be done in parallel to save time. (Wanted to see if it was feasible to get the Dimma ready for Pugfest last year around my family and work commitments. Plus in budget)
Needless to say I quickly passed the 150hrs mark...

Keep up the progress mate, it will be awesome when finished.
Lewis205cti

Postby miles1234 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:04 pm

I wouldn't want to work out the hours I have spent holding a sanding block but its coming together now .
Painted the doors on Monday and left them in Chris's workshop to dry , I got a dodgy orange peel finish so I wasn't looking forward to the amount of flatting I would need to do , picked them up today and Chris had taken pity on me and DA'd them and then polished them up to save me a lot of work - result !
miles1234

Postby Lewis205cti » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:01 pm

That is a right result. :D
Lewis205cti

Postby miles1234 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:10 pm

Got the 309 painted on Tuesday and bought it home to my garage yesterday , will refit the doors on Sunday and will then start flatting and polishing the bodywork . Its taken about 2 years to get to this halfway stage and I should have it all back together in 3 or 4 months with a bit of luck =))
miles1234

PreviousNext

Return to Work in Progress