Welcome to the International Peugeot 309 Owners Club!

• Sponsors

• Sponsors

Miami blue 309 GTI project

Let us know how you getting on with you Peugeot 309, what have you replaced, what are you planning to do, etc

Miami blue 309 GTI project

Postby miles1234 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:26 pm

Now the work on the Goodwood is done I have been searching for the next project and with this 3 door Miami blue I think I have found it . I viewed it by detouring off to Gloucester on my way home from French car show and was surprised how rust free it appeared after at least 5 years on the owners drive . I opened the boot and it was bone dry which must be something of a record after that long .
I went on holiday the next day but left a deposit to make sure it was mine and returned 8 days later with a trailer to bring it home .
The only problems I am aware of at the moment is the gear linkages have become detached , its a non runner due to a flat battery at the least and the drivers door will not open . The blue seats and carpet are a bit faded and the nearside front wing has some dents .
The car is in the garage now and apart from a bit of fine tuning on the Goodwood it will be my only project from now on .
miles1234

Postby owen » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:13 am

Nice one miles.
What i like about the miami gti is the black inserts in the door strips
they have to be a lot harder to find than the red ones.
Looking forward to watching the build on this one..
DAILY DRIVER, VERY TIDY 309 STYLE,
AND LONG TERM PROJECT,405 MI16X4

PREVIOUS
BLACK 309 GTI ,
WHITE 309 D TURBO,
GOLD 309 D TURBO,
TURBO GOODWOOD,
I Know Your All Roosterd Up
But I Aint Feeling Ya Cocka Doodle Do.
owen

Postby miles1234 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:36 pm

I already have a pair of the front wing trims with black inserts brand new in packets , new Kayaba front and rear shocks and a few different front lowering springs to try .Have had a quick look at the trims on the car and they might be ok .
I will be fitting the Magnex stainless manifold and system that I have been saving for the right car and I bought one of the BBM aluminium crank pulleys as they were doing a special price at Pugfest .BBM solid gearbox mount is already fitted to a spare casting and I have a set of BBM solid rear beam mounts already .
Once I have fixed the door lock I will get the engine running , change the oil , filter and coolant then give it a good check over to see if its long layup has caused any serious problems .
The lowered suspension front and rear ( and rear beam rebuild ) will be done first so I can get the ride height correct without worrying about damaging the resprayed paintwork .
miles1234

Postby miles1234 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:38 pm

Tonight I managed to remove front indicators , headlamps , grille , slam panel , cross bar and just found one seized bolt at the bottom of the front bumper which will need to be drilled out .The front end is really solid , just one patch of rust on a headlamp panel so its all good news so far .
Got the drivers door open , the exterior handle mechanism had rusted solid so will be replacing that with a spare .
The electric windows and central locking worked ok once I connected up a decent battery .
miles1234

Postby Tidzy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:37 am

got to admit i have a pot of money stashed incase a blue 309 gti comes up for sale...

will be following this
Tidzy

Postby miles1234 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:23 pm

This one will not be for sale , when its done it will become my regular ride and the Goodwood will go into store .
Have been picking up lots of cheap bits off Ebay / autojumbles and other members over the last 2 years , some are now on the Goodwood but the rest will be going onto the Miami .Peugeot hand brake cable and rear pads , some interior trim and brake parts will all come in useful .One of the door mirrors is cracked so I had a look on Ebay in my lunch hour and got a new in box Lucas mirror for £6 inc p+p .
miles1234

Postby miles1234 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:55 pm

Fitted the new drivers door handle tonight so the doors and central locking is fully operational . Removed both front speakers as they are tired no brand items and the cones and foam is starting to perish , I have a few sets of reasonable quality replacements which should do a better job .I think the Pioneer slide out cassette radio will have to go as well .Got both door mirrors off , the pins on the internal trims were as fragile as ever though .One mirrors cracked and they are both badly faded so they are in the bin , I already had a new drivers side Peugeot item and the other side should arrive in the post soon .
Next task is to remove the only bolt holding the front bumper on then have a go at getting it started , I have put some fresh fuel in it .
miles1234

Postby miles1234 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:34 pm

Ground off the bolt head and slid off the front bumper , not too bad at all behind there , 5 of the 8 foglamp screws undid ok and I had to drill out the other 3 .The lamps were too corroded to reuse . The engine bay is a mess as you might expect but its all sound and there appears to be less surface rust in there than on my Goodwood .
Had a look at all the black external trims , 8 are in excellent order and 2 could do with replacing - better start scanning the ads ?
The tailgate struts were not supporting its weight so I replaced them with the set I took off Westies Goodwood before he scrapped it .
miles1234

Postby miles1234 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:39 pm

I will be writing a regular progress report of this Miami rebuild in the PSCUK magazine 'Torque' starting in a month or so , it may not make the next issue but should be in the one after that .I am considering becoming a Group Leader for the London area as well .
miles1234

Postby Tidzy » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:22 pm

will deffo be reading the progress on this...

my next car will be a miami blue 309
Tidzy

Next

Return to Work in Progress