Welcome to the International Peugeot 309 Owners Club!

• Sponsors

• Sponsors

Phase 1 GTi - Full Resto project

Let us know how you getting on with you Peugeot 309, what have you replaced, what are you planning to do, etc

Re: Phase 1 GTi - Full Resto project

Postby Willsy » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:15 am

Thanks Miles,
I certainly hope it'll be on the road before summer this year. The Electrox is available in both an aerosol (which I use as it goes on very nicely) or brush on. Either way it gives great coverage and is very durable.
I'll fetch the spring part number out for you tomorrow. I'm excited to see it back on its wheels with the new ride height too :-)

Today I managed to get the first half of the scuttle painted and lacquered. I'm using the seam line as the halfway point as it's a perfect break between the awkwardness of the bits under each lipped area, and the relative ease of 'stage 2' being the main part of the trough and more visible sections.
My aim being that despite doing it separately in two parts, I'll be able to finish the job without any visible join (I havnt created a solid line with masking tape here, just enough to cover the bit that I need to, and any paint that went below onto the main section of seam sealant is just a bonus of some extra coverage) - even though this section is still almost completely hidden by trim, I'll still know what's under there, and I want to ensure that I do everything the best standard that I can.

Enough of my waffle anyway, here's an array of pics

And lastly inbetween coats I just about finished this bit of front end box section. One more light coat of rust remover then I can give the centre bit of box section a final clean off and prep it for paint. The triangular piece on the right needs a repair so I'll just give that a good coat in Electrox for now- it'll be nicely preserved until I can drive it to somewhere to do the repair when it's back on the road

Willsy

Postby miles1234 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:00 am

Spot welding would be ideal for repairing that rust hole , you could cut a bit of steel sheet to fit into that section on the other side and weld it in place . A bit of Mig could then be used to fill the hole and then ground back flush . As long as its clean bare steel it will hold very well unless that panel is thicker steel than normal .If I was coming up that way I could bring my welder and we could have it spot welded on in a couple of minutes .
miles1234

Postby Willsy » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:57 pm

Miles that would be brilliant if you are ever up this way, and of course if you don't mind doing it? There's really no rush I guess, it is all cleaned back to bare clean metal. What I'll probably do is give it a coat of electrox zinc primer for the time being just to protect it.
The metal thickness is the standard thickness steel that most of the front end is assembled with. Amazing how the drivers side had gotten so bad under the factory stone chip. All of it including the hole was hidden from view, visually the area looked perfect, it was only because I grabbed hold of it at some point whilst having a good poke around of the stone chip for any abnormal crunches of rust under the surface that I noticed it.
Willsy

Postby Willsy » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:59 pm

Finally victory over the scuttle area.

Willsy

Postby Willsy » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:01 am

Minor update,

Today o finished painting the panel at either side of the scuttle.

And started bolting some bits back into the scuttle area. Refitting the wiper motor and assembly too nerves of steel to manoeuvre it into place without knocking or scratching the paint. Several microfibre cloths laid out helped. Nicely back in place

Passenger side mostly taken up the the sunroof vacuum container.

Beats the original state. A reminder

Willsy

Postby Stephen W » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:57 am

I must say Matt you must have some patience! Looking really well.
Stephen W

Postby Willsy » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:23 pm

Cheers Steve, my skills in patience really have been tested at times, I'll have perfected it by the time I've finished :-) how's your GTi going?
Willsy

Postby Willsy » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:26 pm

To escape from the cold I've restored the 'RENWICKS' dealership badge from the boot. As they were registered keepers of the GTi for 6 months, I'm not aware of them fitting these badges to all of their stock so there may be some truth that it was being used as a 'Demo' car.

The badge was finished in the same satin silver painted texture as the Peugeot and 309 badge. Common for them to fade off over time.
Apologies for the poor quality of this pic, I've had to zoom in on one of the original pics to show a reflective 'before' condition.

To restore the finish I figured that the best way to achieve an original type finish on the larger lettering that I would use some satin silver vinyl. Masking would be too difficult to go for a spray finish, and I feared that brushing wouldn't offer a nice finish. Plus if I cocked it up the vinyl is easier to remove.

The smaller letters was a change of tact, far too small for vinyl to be cut accurately and not enough adhesive to stick to. So going back to my childhood I went to the nearest toy store and bought some Humbrol Air Fix model paint and the finest brush that they do.

And the end result....

Willsy

Postby Stephen W » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:13 pm

Yeah I can imagine! But the results are amazing. Mines on the back burner at the minute but can't wait to get on with it.
Stephen W

Postby cundall » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:44 pm

I just have to say wow!

I had seen the picture of the bumper on the facebook page, but never noticed this thread...

You have done an amazing job, so much time has been put into this car!
cundall

PreviousNext

Return to Work in Progress