Welcome to the International Peugeot 309 Owners Club!

• Sponsors

• Sponsors

Minsk 123cc

Postby harley1200 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:52 am

it sounds like a fuel proplem so if the carb is clean and no blocked jets that leaves the tank, fuel tap,and fuel pipe.so it might be a idea to make up a spare tank and pipe and see if it runs.also fuel goes off after time so fresh fuel will help.
harley1200

Postby FAIRWAY1 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:50 pm

Oh yeah, I should have mentioned I flushed the tank out several times with each with fresh petrol, white spirit & parafin and put a gallon of freshly premixed 25:1 fuel (as recommended for running in a new / recon engine apparently, so it says in the service manual). There is a piece of gauze filter in the fuel tap which I removed & cleaned. I also replaced the fuel pipe that runs from the tank tap to the carb because it was split in a few places & weeping fuel.

I'm betting there is still some gunk floating around in the carb so I suppose I'm looking at stripping that down, but more thoroughly this time. If I have more problems afterwards I might have to bite the bullet, spend some hard earned £££'s & send it to one of those carburettor reconditioning places.
FAIRWAY1

Postby FAIRWAY1 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:46 am

Hi all, just wanted to recap on what I've been upto on my bike as my timeline is somewhat out of kilter now.

Back in November '11 I stripped the engine down (without removing it from the frame) and fitted a new piston (old one had a nasty crack up one side), new rings & new gaskets. Unfortunately, at the final stage of reassembly; screwing the cylinder head down on top of the cylinder, one of the four threaded mounting posts the head is screwed down with snapped (see pic, left bolt).

FAIRWAY1

Postby FAIRWAY1 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:47 am

I wasn't too worried because I knew I'd soon manage to source a replacement, or even have a new one made. It was around then I had an enormous stroke of luck in coming across a used Minsk engine on eBay. It was complete and came with carburettor attached (the slightly later, more reliable carb they used) and some spare gear selector rods and spare clutch + throttle cables. I spoke to the seller online & he knew very little about the engine (he had to e-mail pics to his local bike shop just to identify it), its history or it it was even a runner, only that it had likely once been used on a racing go-cart. I was the only person to bid and inc postage by courier the lot came to just over £17! I was very pleased with that purchase because theres been a fair few bits I've needed to rob off it since :)

FAIRWAY1

Postby FAIRWAY1 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:48 am

From late Nov '11 to May this year, progress on my bike had been pretty much nil due to working away a lot and work to the 205 taking priority in my free time, but being home from work for 2 weeks off I knew I needed to pull my finger out & get cracking with it. I completely removed the engine from the bike (which took all of 10min) so I could clean the frame & those hard to reach places and to work on the engine at home, which was where the spare engine was.

(Spare eBay engine on the left)

I removed the cylinder head (again) and replaced the snapped head bolt with one from the spare engine. After replacing the head I gave the engine casing a good clean with white spirit.

I also removed the fuel tank from the bike as there was a lot of crusty, dried oil stuck to the bottom of the tank. I flushed it out as best I could first with white spirit and then with parafin.

I then went on to clean the fuel tap. I read in the manual that there was a very fine metal gauze filter inside which are easily clogged up. Mine was no acception, but along with various bits of dried oil & black gunk there where some gold paint shavings - I'm guessing overspray that managed to get inside the tank from when they painted it during manufacture or perhaps paint chipped off the filler neck by metal fuel pump nozzles.
The fact the paint chips where still in there tells me this filter has never been off and cleaned and I'm willing to bet this crap in the fuel tap started to affect the bikes performance and probably lead to the previous owner to take it off the road in 1990, thinking the engine needed de-coking (when it actually wasn't that bad & wasn't due to be done.)
FAIRWAY1

Postby FAIRWAY1 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:49 am

I removed the base of the carb & flushed it out with parafin. It absolutely f***ing stunk when I first opened it up :ymsick: ,it was full of oil that had gone as thick as treacle and there was a sort of oil 'skin' growing up the sides (it reminded me of the 'skin' you'd get on a pot of gravy thats been left to cool and not stirred). I suppose I was too excited about getting the bike back together & getting it running because I perhaps wasn't as through as I should have been and didn't clean it or strip it to the extent I should have, which I found out later =p~ (will upload pics later)

The rubber fuel feed pipe which runs from the fuel tank tap to the carb was cracked & weeping fuel so it was replaced with a new pipe and a pair of new jubilee clips for about £3, courtesy of Pirtek in Hull. (will upload pics later)

Finally, I drained the gearbox oil (only 500ml capacity), replaced the sump, filled & swilled with neat petrol (as recommended by the owners handbook), drained again, allowed to dry then filled with some fresh gear oil. The owners manual was very vague about exactly what grade of gear oil should be used, only stating, '....replace gearbox sump and fill with appropriate oil.' so I purchased a fresh 500ml bottle of EP75w90 semi synthetic hypiod gear oil & tipped that in. As the design of this bike, especially the mechanical side of things, had hardly changed from the 1950s, I expect if I was to fill the gearbox with a tin of Tate & Lyle it would probably wouldn't harm it.

Anyway, with the engine etc refitted on the bike and a few drops of petrol down the sparkplug hole for good measure I gave it a kick start. On the 3rd attempt it fired up. I was well impressed because I've never removed / stripped / rebuilt ANY engine before and it was great to hear it burst into life after 21 years layed up in a garage under a tarpaulin sheet :D

Unfortunately the bike conked out about 40 seconds later. Cutting an allready long winded & boring story shory, the bike would refuse to start without either a few drops of pertol down the spark plug hole or a squirt of carb & choke cleaner in the air intake. When it did start after doing either of these things it would quite happily rev and tick over for about 40secs before dying again.
FAIRWAY1

Postby FAIRWAY1 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:50 am

This morning (17/06/12) I removed the carb off the spare engine & fitted it onto my bike. Hey presto it fired up on the first attempt, tick over spot on and revs exactly as it should do and no conking out or any hesitation. Fantastic :D

Its a 2 wheeled environmental disaster!!
FAIRWAY1

Postby FAIRWAY1 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:51 am

Carb from spare engine now on the bike
FAIRWAY1

Postby FAIRWAY1 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:52 am

I still plan on throughly stripping the old carb down and cleaning it out meticulously this time and fitting it back on the bike as I prefer things to be original where possible, and theres still lots of jobs to do i.e the brakes need adjusting & maybe new shoes fitting, rear tyre has a slow puncture, chain needs tightening etc but my next main jobs are;

1) I've misplaced a gasket or a large metal washer or something that should go in where the exhaust screws into the cylinder block to make it airtight. Without the gasket it spits out a very small, fine mist of unburned oil and smoke.

2) I have no idea what this completely odourless black stuff is thats leaking from the bike and I can't tell where its coming from. It's either just unburned oil thats dribbling out of where the exhaust screws into the cylinder block where that gasket is missing (see above), or its coming from the gearbox, which I doubt because I put fresh oil in there....

[UPDATE - Someone on the Retro Riders forum has told me this waste product is called 'Spooge' apparently and is what happens when unsuitable or cheap and nasty oil is used. At £3.40 per litre I thought Tesco's own brand of 2 stroke oil would be fine, after all, it's a 2 stroke so the oil is only part burned & then spat out of the exhaust, but I was wrong so I'll have to spend some extra £££'s and treat it to some better quality pre-mix oil at the next fill up.]

3) Disappointingly, none of the electrics seem to work apart from the horn (intermittently). Probably just a loose connection or plug somewhere & nothing serious.
FAIRWAY1

Postby FAIRWAY1 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:33 pm

FAIRWAY1

Previous

Return to Work in Progress (non Peugeot)