Welcome to the International Peugeot 309 Owners Club!

• Sponsors

• Sponsors

Preparing a car/panel for spraying

Changed your clutch, removed the engine? Let us know the pitfalls and what to watch out for

Preparing a car/panel for spraying

Postby miles1234 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:27 am

Hoping for a bit of advice from someone who has experience of spraying a car , other than some small pieces ( slam panels, gearbox mounts etc )I am in the dark .
I am getting a replacement door ready for my 309 GTI , I have it stripped down to a bare shell and have filled a couple of small dings with Isopon P38 .The finest wet and dry I can find easily is 1200 grit and I have used this to level the filler and lightly key the panel all over .I have primed the panel and is pretty good apart from a couple of sanding marks showing through .
Is 1200 grit fine enough and will the paint cover any sanding marks . I rubbed it down dry , would I have got a better finish wet ?
miles1234

Postby allye » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:57 am

Being deadly serious, have you considered using a roller to do it? Don't laugh, read on.

Spraying things and body work has always really really scared me and I've steered clear at all times. However! At current I'm in Australia work over the winter and bought a van on the cheap with awful body work, I planned on rattle canning until I stumbled across 'the $50 paint job' thread online, here's a good link to get reading.

http://mog.myfreeforum.org/archive/roller-paint-your-car__o_t__t_4378.html

In short, i have rollered my van, the results are amazing, barely any masking, goes on really well and is super easy. Ok it takes a while but I swear by it now for big jobs! Oh, and it costs a really very small amount. :)

(I'll post some pictures when it done, put the last coat on Friday. Need to leave it a few days to harden before flatting and polishing)
allye

Postby Moz_Goodwood_309 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:04 pm

there was a bloke on here who's a paint sprayer iirc, think he's called brian or baz or something, had a picture of a 309 bonnet in his avatar with some decent holes in it lol, someone help me out who he was, seem to remember he was from liverpool or that neck of the woods

if you need any other vague recolection of past members feel free to ask

205 owners can suck my wide track

2006 307 HDi ~ Black

1999 Impreza RB5 ~ [color="gray"]Cool Steel[/color]

1992 309 Goodwood GTi ~ [color="green"]Pinewood Green[/color]
Moz_Goodwood_309

Postby Choppered » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:35 pm

I have some experience as i spray around 300 cars every day when at work :-o and also have a nvq level 2 and 3 in body and paint repair. Yes it needs to be wet flatted but with a good coat of some decent primer you should cover the sanding marks if there not to deep. If you can see them before you apply the basecoat you will more than likely see them through the basecoat. you can get finer than 1200 you can get 1500 and 2000 you car go finer than that all the way up to 7000 but no need for that 2000 should do what 1200 and 2000 should do fine. If you need a hand once the weather gets a bit better give me a shout mate!!
92 Cherry Red GRDT-Died in a car crash 17/09/06 RIP
92 3dr Goodwood GTI-Long term resto
92 Ming Blue GRDT-Also died in a car crash 17/12/08 RIP
90 Alpine White GRI-Bargain of the century at £20
92 Winchester Grey GRDT-On loan to a friend
93 5dr Goodwood GTI-Life threatening case of metal cancer
88 Pinewood Green Phase 1 3dr non sunroof GTI-plans to put in my turbo technics lump
88 Steel Grey SRI-another long term resto
89 Topaz Blue SRI-Lastest editon only 17k on the clock
Choppered

Postby Moz_Goodwood_309 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:54 pm

it was pugman211 on here :) not sure if he still comes on or not?

205 owners can suck my wide track

2006 307 HDi ~ Black

1999 Impreza RB5 ~ [color="gray"]Cool Steel[/color]

1992 309 Goodwood GTi ~ [color="green"]Pinewood Green[/color]
Moz_Goodwood_309

Postby miles1234 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:41 pm

Thanks for the replies , I will be asking more questions as I go on .
I will be looking for some 2000 grit wet and dry and then give the door a wet rub down to get the marks out .
Would I need to put more than one coat of topcoat on , if I put on two coats I suppose I could give it a wet flat in between coats to take out any imperfections .
Its the lacquer I am worried about , have heard it runs badly and if I manage to get the paint looking good I don't want to ruin it all and have to start again .
miles1234

Postby Rich_p » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:13 am

allye wrote:Being deadly serious, have you considered using a roller to do it? Don't laugh, read on.

Spraying things and body work has always really really scared me and I've steered clear at all times. However! At current I'm in Australia work over the winter and bought a van on the cheap with awful body work, I planned on rattle canning until I stumbled across 'the $50 paint job' thread online, here's a good link to get reading.

http://mog.myfreeforum.org/archive/roller-paint-your-car__o_t__t_4378.html

In short, i have rollered my van, the results are amazing, barely any masking, goes on really well and is super easy. Ok it takes a while but I swear by it now for big jobs! Oh, and it costs a really very small amount. :)

(I'll post some pictures when it done, put the last coat on Friday. Need to leave it a few days to harden before flatting and polishing)

Do you think the roller technique and paint would work ok for painting a stripped interior and roll cage?
Rich_p

Postby allye » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:55 am

Rich_p wrote:Do you think the roller technique and paint would work ok for painting a stripped interior and roll cage?

Yes, but it would be fiddly! The roller is suited to large area panels as you can imagine, just doing the door shuts and bit of a pain. People do simply use brushes, use lots of thinners and be prepared to lots of coats and it will go on just fine. Hell of lot more less mess than spraying.
allye

Postby 309jazzpanda » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:35 pm

I handbrushed my floor with hammerite white, looks good apart from the runs over the arches, but hey its no a show car
why do i keep finding holes? where's the galv?
309jazzpanda

Postby miles1234 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:13 pm

I would certainly recommend Hammerite or smoothrite for areas that cannot be seen , I put 2 coats on the underside of my goodwoods boot all the way under the fuel tank and its done well .Finigans even do a hammered green that matches well with a goodwoods Pinewood green .I would use it under the carpet as well but I think I will stick to tried and tested spray paint for external panels .
miles1234

Return to Dummies Guide to....