Welcome to the International Peugeot 309 Owners Club!

• Sponsors

• Sponsors

Introduction: 309SRD near Guildford

Introduce yourself, tell us about you and your motor

Introduction: 309SRD near Guildford

Postby 34058 » Thu May 15, 2014 8:43 pm

Hello folks.

I've been lurking and searching the forum on and off for a while, but thought it is now time to sign up and introduce myself.

I am in the process of trying to keep my wife's 309SRD alive for a few more years. My wife is quite attached to it because she has had it from new in 1989. It was her repmobile in a previous job. She chose the car, and when the job evaporated she purchased it from the company. With so few left on the road I would like to keep this one going for a bit longer.
http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=309SRD

Now, I realise how deeply uncool a diesel is, but it has up until now been so reliable that I have also become attached to it and don't want to send it off to the scrappy. (It did have a near death experience in the south of France in 2010 when all the ball bearings fell out of the cambelt tensioner pulley, but after a roadside repair it lived to see another day #:-s ). It has now clocked up 226,331 miles, but the engine started smoking so badly that we had to stop using it. Strangely enough it never used any engine oil: it went from maximum to minimum on the dipstick in 6,000 miles, when I would then give it an oil and filter change.
The rot has set in and I have done some welding on it over the last 10 years, but overall it's not too bad.
As I had spent a lot of money on it in recent years (getting the rear suspension, injectors and fuel injector pump rebuilt) I looked around for another engine. Luckily a friend had a rotted-out 205 with the same engine in it, which had only done 110,000 miles, so I took that out and put it in the 309.
It's now up and running again, with just a few things to sort out before I take it for an MOT. The main problem is that the indicators have stopped working, but the hazard warning lights work OK. After doing a forum search I will check out the earth on the inside of the nearside wing, but if anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful to hear them. I expect I dislodged something doing the engine change, but I cannot find out what.

Anyway, that's enough waffle for an introduction. Hopefully there will be photos attached:

David.
Attachments
309SRD.jpg
309SRD.jpg (96.31 KiB) Viewed 3170 times

Re: Introduction: 309SRD near Guildford

Postby 34058 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:57 pm

A quick update:
I still have to sort out the indicators and centeralise the steering. I am busy welding up rust holes that seem to have sprung up everywhere: inside the front wheel arches, the NS cill and the NS boot floor by the side rear bumper mount.
I hope to get all the welding done before the weather turns wet/cold.
Last edited by 34058 on Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 34058 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:13 pm

Welding all done. Just need to put on a few more coats of paint. Then sort out the steering and indicators.
David.

Postby 34058 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:58 pm

Indicators working now: they sorted themselves out! Steering centeralised. Paintwork polished for the first time in its life. Now waiting for my friendly MOT garage to get their new testing station approved by VOSA. This should be some time in the new year. Must check the glowplugs because it's quite reluctant to start in this cold weather.
David

Postby miles1234 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:40 am

There are a few places on the 309 where they like to rust , good to hear you have got them welded up .The Peugeot diesel engines are famous for covering a high mileage .
miles1234

Postby 34058 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:13 pm

Just back from the MOT testing garage. Result is a pass with no advisories. I am well pleased. :D

There were two issues that the tester sorted out whilst the car was on the ramp. One was a diesel leak that I traced to a breather pipe that I had accidentally hit with the wire brush wheel when doing the welding in the rear wheel arch. A quick squirt of degreaser and a blob of silicone sealer fixed that. The other problem was that I had refitted the front directional tyres/wheels to the wrong sides. Whilst checking the front suspension the tester and I swapped them over to the correct sides.

All the mystery electrical problems that have been plaguing the car since it was laid up (indicators sometimes not working, intermittent functioning of the central locking, nearside headlight staying on 'dim dip') were traced to a bad earth on the front nearside wing just ahead of the washer bottle. Well done this forum for pointing me in the right direction. :-bd

I will now tax it and run it for a while to test its reliability before selling the hated T£%&*a, that only does 35mpg. I'm looking forward to 50mpg again.

Has this been the slowest engine change and repair job ever? I see that its last MOT expired in June 2013.

David.

Postby 34058 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:28 pm

Another year's MOT in my hand. Just one advisory for a poor earth on the rear lights: they pulse a little when the indicators blink. Probably caused by me taking the lens units out numerous times trying to cure the water leak. Still not quite watertight yet despite a lot of gutter sealant. Otherwise the car's going well. Still getting about 50mpg.
As a treat for passing the MOT I got it a pair of gas struts for the tailgate. It saves me the danger of getting guillotined every time I get anything out of the boot. I still get pleasure from standing at the back of the car and watching the tailgate rise up by itself. Sad, I know. It now makes that spare broom stick redundant.
Here's to another year of fun motoring. I enjoy driving it so much more than our modern T&%$#a.
David.

Postby miles1234 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:09 pm

That's a cheap years motoring , the diesels do seem to soldier on for years .Good luck with the water leaking in through the tailgate , there are so many ways for it to get in . The rear lights are a possibility but on a phase 2 water can get through the bond that holds the rear screen to the tailgate .
miles1234

Postby 34058 » Thu May 18, 2017 2:59 pm

Still trying to cure the water leak into the boot! It filled up after yesterday's rain. I have resealed the rear light clusters (Phase 1 rectangular lights) but it's still getting in somewhere. I have found that water is coming in down the inside of the 'C' pillar, passing through the jack compartment in the inside of the rear wing (UK driver's side), and then running into the boot at the back, under the inside part of the driver's side light cluster. My latest theory is that the water might be getting into the inner part of the wing through the fuel filler flap, so I checked the drain hole inside the flap. It was clear when I poked a cable tie through the hole. I will have to see what happens next time it rains hard. Anybody got any other ideas, please? This leak is driving me crazy. ~x(
David

Postby miles1234 » Fri May 19, 2017 8:36 pm

I had a water leak down the inside of the C pillar on one of my 309's , I never found out exactly what was causing it but the fuel flap is a possibility . I thought it might have been coming down the washer jet piping or getting round the boot seal .Take the boot carpet out as it holds water like a sponge .
miles1234

Next

Return to Newbies